Are you tired of Windows 10 or macOS? Are you searching for something fast and exciting? What about the freshest Linux distro out there – Linux Mint! Let’s take a deep dive into Linux Mint and see all the great reasons to make it your primary OS, or at least your dual boot option.
What is Linux Mint?
Linux Mint is one of the popular Linux distros for home and office. It is based on another popular distribution called Ubuntu and can run pretty much everything for it too.
You can easily install it on many desktops and laptops. It can run on old hardware too, and the minimum requirements are x86-64 (32-bit version will soon be outdated) or arm64 processors, 1 GB of RAM, and 15 GB of storage space.
It is an ideal distribution for first-time Linux users.
Why use Linux Mint – top Linux Mint benefits?
The top reasons to choose Linux Mint are price, performance, and customization, but let’s go into details:
- Free. Yes, contrary to Windows 10, Linux Mint does not cost a dime. No cost for any update too. And most of the software is free too. You get an office suite, media player, photo editor, and communication applications for free out-of-the-box.
- Performance. It uses fewer resources than macOS or Windows. Depending on the task, it could perform better than other Oses on the same hardware.
- Compatibility. It works on many different configurations. Yes, it is dropping 32-bit support, but we already made the jump to 64-bit processors in 2007-2008. It beat macOS, which supports olds computers too.
- Convenience. When you install Linux Mint, you will get all the drivers pre-installed*. Moreover, you will get a full set of applications that you can work on or have fun with. The desktop is similar to other OSes, and you will be using it smoothly in no time.
*some hardware might not have drivers available
- Customization. You can easily change many aspects of the user interface: the font, sizes, colors, and more. You can even change the whole desktop environment. Use Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce. Get apps and widgets for it, and tweak Linux Mint the way you want.
- Security. When we are talking about any Linux distro, you can make it a fortress if you like. Put Firewall, manage users and privileges, limit the access to the root, and more. You have full control of it.
- Privacy. Nobody is spying on you on Linux Mint. Not like Windows, where you are surveilled continuously. Apple says that they don’t track you but who knows. On Linux, you and your data are safe, and nobody is tracking you. By default, your browser is Mozilla Firefox and DuckDuckGo as a search engine.
- Popular. Don’t forget this important point. Many people use Linux Mint, so you can find a lot of help online. This could be very helpful if you have trouble with drivers or install specific software that is not natively supported.
- Updatable. You can easily update the whole OS, a separate part of the OS, or an individual software. You choose what and when with the update manager. And there won’t be any annoying updates that push you to restart immediately and last forever to install.
In general, using any Linux distribution is far underrated. Linux Mint is a great example of what it can offer. A great OS with an incredibly easy-to-use interface, built-in applications, and good performance.
Maybe the real question is not “Why to use Linux Mint?”, and it is “Why haven’t you installed Linux Mint already?”